Language Tests and Certificates

Internationally recognized language tests

Finnish and Swedish

For those interested in applying for Finnish citizenship it is recommended to take The National Foreign Language Certificate, which is based on everyday language in work and general life situations.  For more information refer to the web pages of the Finnish National Board of Education.

TISUS – Test in Swedish for university studies


The contact person for the Language Centre is Camilla Jauhojärvi-Koskelo (camilla.jauhojarvi-koskelo@jyu.fi).

The National Certificates

The National Certificates are offered to adult learners in evidence of their language abilities.  The tests measure language competence in various authentic life situations where adults speak, listen, write and read in another language – in Finland as well as abroad.  The following language tests are available: English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Saame, Spanish, and Swedish.

Information can be found in the web pages of the Finnish National Board of Education or the Jyväskylä University Dept. of Applied Linguistics.

For practice with English, Finnish and Swedish versions of the test refer to the yle.fi pages (in Finnish). 

Information on State administration language examinations (in Finnish): 


TOEFL – arranged in Helsinki. For further information see the TOEFL web pages.

IELTS – arranged in Helsinki. For further information see the FinnBrit web pages.

Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) arranged at the Jyväskylä University of Applied Sciences.

Cambridge ESOL (CAE ja CPE) – arranged in Helsinki.

If you are applying for one of the English Medium Masters programs at Jyväskylä University, please refer to departmental web pages for further information regarding which tests are accepted by your department. 

HSK – Test of ability for Chinese language

Jyväskylä University Language Centre is the only institution in Finland offering the HSK (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi) validated test for Chinese language for beginning, basic and intermediate levels.  The test is intended for those who would like validated assessment and certification of their ability in Chinese language.  Chinese universities require foreign students to show evidence of ability in the Chinese language.  The test is also intended for those working in business through the Chinese language.

Beijing University has developed the test and provides certification under the supervision of the Chinese Ministry of Education through the language commission.  The test measures competence in listening and reading comprehension, as well as grammar and language structures.  Beginning levels (1-3) do not require understanding of Chinese orthographic characters.  The basic (3-5) and intermediate (6-8) levels do require production of Chinese orthographic characters and comprehension of their use in language structures.  Participants in the Language Centre’s XKI008 Chinese 4 course are able to take part in the beginning level test.

The HSK test (Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi/standardized international Chinese proficiency test) is organized by the University of Jyväskylä Language Centre for the university students and all other Chinese language learners who wish to have their Chinese language skills tested. The HSK test takes place 5th of December 2014 and the registration deadline is 8th of November 2014. Further information can be found here or from jiaiy.j.li-haapaniemi@jyu.fi. Direct link to the registration site: http://www.chinesetest.cn/ChangeLan.do?languge=en&t=1379954950711 


DELF/DALF- language tests as well as TCF- language level tests are arranged in the Institut Francais in Helsinki. For more information refer to the institutes web pages (in Finnish or French). 


DSH - Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber.The test is conducted in the Goethe Institute in Helsinki.  The web pages are in Finnish or German.

TestDaF – The test is conducted in the Goethe Institute in Helsinki. 


The Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) is organized in Helsinki in December. More information: Finnish Teachers Association of Japanese Language and Culture.

Lan­gua­ge cer­ti­fica­tes for in­ter­na­tional exc­han­ge pro­gram­mes (Eras­mus, ISEP, bi­la­te­ral exc­han­ges) and in­terns­hips (AI­E­SEC, CIMO, Mi­ni­stry of Fo­reign Af­fairs)

The University of Jyväskylä students requiring a Language Proficiency Report (LPR) for international study purposes, or international internships, should contact senior lecturer Lisa Lahtela, lisa.lahtela@jyu.fi. A charge of 40 euros is required for LPR testing. Some exchange universities might demand an internationally recognized and more comprehensive test such as TOEFL or IELTS. This LPR test is not designed to give a more in-depth evaluation. Please check with your international exchange programme coordinator if there are any doubts.

More information on language certificates and test dates